African Development Choices (ADC) is a UK-based Social Enterprise on a mission to reduce poverty by empowering communities to make more informed choices in the management of public resources. Our purpose is to enable communities to independently meet their needs for essential services, such as clean water and safe sanitation and improve lives in Africa.
As a Social Enterprise, there are two core divisions in the organisation i.e. social impact and consultancy. We are planning to start generating revenue by developing and selling various consultancy services. This revenue will cover our operational costs and allow us to guarantee that 100% of donations and grants we receive for our social impact projects are used on the projects. Being a not-for-profit, we use all profits we generate to fund our social impact projects.
ADC has been built 100% by volunteers from different parts of the world; this is because we are yet to start generating revenue. At ADC, we encourage a working culture of seeking and giving input, showing and taking initiative, and commitment to the organisation and its purpose.
About the role: We now have an exciting opportunity for a Volunteer Construction Project Manager who will remotely oversee construction projects, from design conception through project closeout, ensuring that projects are delivered on time and on budget by setting benchmarks and monitoring progress. Reporting to the Head of Program Design, key aspects include involvement in meetings, oversight of contractor work, budget control, schedule oversight and risk management.
To be successful in this role, you should have experience managing the practical side of every stage of the building project, working closely with local and international architects, surveyors, engineers, contractors and other building professionals in planning and delivery of projects.
Your main responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Determine and define scope of work, resource requirements and deliverables
- Plan and coordinate a project from start to finish, including preparation of project plans, budget estimates and schedule of work
- Create benchmarks to track progress, prepare reports and issue progress updates as needed regarding costs and timelines
- Ensure work is done in accordance with approved quality control manuals and guidelines, and in compliance with all relevant building and safety codes
- Coordinate efforts across entire project between local and international architects, surveyors, engineers, contractors and other building professionals
- Experience as a construction project manager
- In-depth understanding of construction procedures, materials and equipment
- Good knowledge of quality and health and safety standards
- Able to coordinate a team of professionals of different disciplines to achieve the best results
- Ability to actively take initiative and help set things up in a start-up environment
- Ability to actively seek and give input in a collaborative team environment
- A committed team player with good communication skills
- Available to volunteer at least 7-10 hours a week
What we offer you:
This is a volunteer, remote and unpaid but rewarding position with the following benefits:
- Professional learning and career development opportunities.
- An opportunity to build on your work experience within your profession.
- An opportunity to be part of a diverse team representing different parts of the world, that is changing lives in Africa.
- An opportunity to help shape a start-up social enterprise.
We will provide work reference for you.
We look forward to receiving your application.
ADC Recruitment Team
Here at African Development Choices, we celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our teams are made up of people from all over the world and we welcome all applications. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition, and you require any reasonable adjustments for your application with us, please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org